Tetbury by david
Tetbury,an historic wool town
Some 1334 years afte Abbess Tetta founded a Monastery in 681AD, we visited the town of Tetbury, which probably gained its name from the original name of TETTA
A guided tour of the town from an offical guide ( here seen in the dark glasses)
of a town which was never large, having a population of 3,115 in 1729, now about 5,250. Problems with the water supply in 17th-19th centuries may be the reason
The Roman Fosse Way now forms the county boundary midway to Malmesbury which is only 5 miles away. Until 1930 the Wiltshire boundary was at the foot of Silver Street
It has never had a Royal Charter and no official Coat of Arms but uses two Dolphine as its insignia
The Lordship of the Manor was purchased by a group of rich inhabitants from Lord Berkeley in 1633. They being 4 in number and still are today, formed the town's FEOFFEES which still exist and own land, properties and administer charities
Market House or Town Hall; a grade 1 listed building originally built 1655 for the wool trade. It had two storeys until 1817. Owned by the Feoffes and once housed the Fire appliance (Tetbury had a Fire Service before 1741)
Talboys House. built 1620. Richard Talboys an original Feoffee, who also owned Doughton Manor
Church of St Mary the Virgin. A grade 1 "listed" ( formerly St Mary Magdalen viz Fair Day) built 1777-1781 on site of an 1160 original. Tower and Spire (rebuilt 1891) with funds provided by W H Yatman of Highgrove (now home of the Prince of Wales)
Wiltshire Bridge or Long Bridge. so called because it was the county boundary until 1930- recorded in 1594 as being maintained equally by the two counties (Wiltshire & Gloucestershire)To its side is the ancient road/trackway into the town with its "packhorse bridge"
Snooty Fox Hotel. origally the White Hart (before 1594) and it used to have Assembly Room(large ballroom) on the upper floor that was used for the Beaufort Hunt Ball
Chipping Steps. arguably the most interesting cottage properties in Tetbury and much photographed (now by me). Built late 17th or early 18th century. Originally for worker (weavers)families, they have now been "gentrified"
St Saviour's Church. consecrated "for the poor" in 1848 for people who could not afford to buy pews in St Mary's. Architect S.W.Daukes (also Royal Agricultural College" who employed PUGIN to design the alter and reredos. There is a brass fasollier. It is now a redundent church.